ChickTech: About Us
ChickTech is a national organization serving tens of thousands of girls and women every year through tech programs and events.
ChickTech was founded in 2012 to engage women and girls of all ages in the technology industry while working to create a better technology culture for all. ChickTech has made a direct impact on tens of thousands of participants, including girls, women, and men. Our programs include summer camps, ChickTech: High School, Meetup groups for adults in tech, and ACT-W Conferences. And wherever possible, we partner with other organizations to expand our impact.
Our Vision and Mission
We envision a safe, inclusive, and innovative technology future that includes equal pay, participation, and treatment of women. We are dedicated to retaining women in the technology workforce and increasing the number of women and girls pursuing technology-based careers.
We facilitate hands-on technology-centric events and programs to empower, support, and increase the confidence of women and girls. Through our events, we build community, empower participants to see themselves as leaders, and provide networking and mentoring opportunities in the rapidly growing high tech industry.
- ChickTech works on both the pipeline (K-12) and retention side of the “women in tech” issue. This means that volunteers aren’t just giving their time and energy to our K-12 program but are also getting what they need to stay in the tech industry.
- Our high school program, one of our signature programs, is targeted towards girls who don’t think of themselves as technical but who have the aptitude to do well in it. The high school program is also a yearlong series of opportunities, so they build a sense of community and belonging while gaining many informal mentors throughout the year.
- We find the girls who aren’t opting into other programs and we change their idea of who they can be and who a technologist is–most of our attendees have never coded or created a tech project before…but 2/3 of them go on to other tech opportunities after they’re part of ChickTech!
- All genders are welcome to volunteer for all of our programs and attend all events for adults (our K-12 programs are a girl-only environment).
- All people, regardless of how technical they are, are viewed as valuable members of the tech community. (This means that if you’re in marketing, HR, legal, management, etc, we want you to be part of our community as both volunteers and attendees).
- We are an open organization, which means we make as few top-down decisions as we can! All people, whether paid or not, are viewed as community members who should have a say in how our community runs.
Interested in learning more about our culture? We created a community-led ChickTech manifesto — Check it out and see if this is the community you’ve been looking for!